July 15, 2009

Patrick McManus, The Good Samaritan Strikes Again

I believe this was the last of my Christmas books, given to me somewhat sheepishly by my mom. I used to be a pretty big Patrick McManus fan, and his story "How to Go Splat!" still makes me laugh when I think about it. (You can actually read the entire story online, thanks to Google books; I discovered this just now when it was one of the three results Google turned up for the search " 'pulpy mess' banana McManus " [the other two being Douglas Adams references!]).

This was one I hadn't read, and although I didn't think it was quite as funny as some of his other material (I recall also liking the book The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw), it did slip down pretty easily.

It also earned me a bit of credit (I think) with David's dad, when I knew what a chukar was and how difficult they are to hunt (thanks, "Chukar Madness"!). Score.

0 comments: