June 14, 2008

Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

Pretty much everyone read this book before I did, and thought I would love it--especially the Italy bits, since I had lived there. They were right! I found the book completely charming, in turn hilarious, insightful, and moving.

I was initially struck by how similar to me author/narrator Liz Gilbert felt--her love of travel, her ability to make friends, her passion for my Italy. It became subsequently clear how very different we are, despite our similarities, but I think that's one of the book's strong points--a wide variety of audiences (at least of women) can relate.

I read the book in Hawaii, either on the beach or on the balcony, but I think that even if I hadn't, the book would have seemed like a miniature vacation. It did make me cry--I could identify more closely than I might have liked to with the heartbreak she felt--but it also made me laugh out loud and feel calmed and encouraged by her wisdom and the wisdom of others that she shares.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

Well, I guess since you seem to like it, perhaps I'll read it. With everyone praising it, I decided that it was one of "those" books. I'm such a snob!

CëRïSë said...

Oh goodness--I'm a snob, too! But, yes, I do occasionally enjoy popular books as well; sometimes the crowd is right, after all.

Melinda said...

do you do goodreads.com as well?

CëRïSë said...

I haven't; is it pretty easy to use? Maybe I should give it a try.

Melinda said...

yep, it's pretty easy to use and it's nice to see what other people are reading. Get some good ideas sometimes!